Saturday 17 January 2009

Wes Streeting, NUS president, censors Black Students Campaign. Plz msg me if u have more details

Ok, so here we go:

Here is the initial email that Bellavia Ribeiro-Addy, the National Black Students Officer sent: http://deepermindfield.blogspot.com/2009/01/bells-original-email.html

And the one Wes Streeting, National NUS President countered it with to ALL sabbs (even those who didn't get Bell's original message): http://deepermindfield.blogspot.com/2009/01/wess-response.html

It needs to be questioned to him at extraordinary conf.


This is all the info i have at the moment. I am working on getting more. i will update this post directly once i have more info...

This is an email from one of the officers at SOAS:

Dear Wes,

I wish to strongly express my dismay and disgust at what I have learnt took place last night with regard to the infringement of the Black Students' officer's autonomy. The Black Students' officer is an elected member of the NEC, with a mandate to represent their constituents. This is similar to the office holder/constituent confidentiality that exists within many other forums and representative offices.

To hear that she was locked out of her private email address, whilst the officer was rightfully emailing a legitimate list of students in the NUS Directory, is nothing short of a disgrace. Further to this, before the officer was able to email the list fully, to hear that you actually sent a reply to various additional lists is nothing short of scandalous.

I would like to add that whilst I received your email, SOAS hadn't received any email from the Black Students' Campaign and I feel as a representative of all students in the country, you should in no manner be inhibiting our rights to receive information from this campaign.

I wish to call for an independent investigation into this matter, as this is a very serious cause for concern. What are the proper channels for me to go through with this?

Regards,

No comments: