Wednesday 14 January 2009

New Blog: SOAS students occupy university in solidarity with Gaza

SOAS students are currently occupying a Ministry of Defence exhibition on campus - following a Union General Meeting at which a motion was passed condemning the college for allowing the MOD to use space which should be for students to portray the armed forces as a liberal, anti-racist organisation - in the week that Prince Harry's racist remarks came to light! They also demand that the college produce a statement condemning the attacks on Gaza - so as to represent the majority view of the student body.

Students will spend the night adding to the exhibition and invite "guided tours" during the day tomorrow examining the reality of war both for the victims and ethnic minorities in the armed forces.

They are occupying the Brunei Gallery Suite on the ground floor of the Brunei building (opposite the main building) - please come down to visit or send messages of support to soas.occupation@googlemail.com

Blog address http://soassolidarity4gaza.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not actively pro or against Palestine/Israel. I just live my life, study my subject and don't like to get involved in things that do not effect me or my background in anyway. If the Student Union wants to express some statements, then let it be - it is the majority that came to that conclusion; however I am a student of this school, and I do not wish to have the institution I peacefully attend make statements on the students' behalf (which is therefore also my behalf), which represent the views of you and your fellow comrades.

SOAS students in solidarity with Gaza said...

I hear your type of comment many times and i feel it is a shame that you think that these things do not affect you...we all live in this world together, don't we? You must at least have a friend from these regions? How do you think they feel?

Our university is being used as a platform to peddle the biased views that the majority of the media also portray-we need to speak out against these things and say Not in Our name.

I hope you enjoy the benefits that we have won for ALL students and i hope one day you will feel to get involved and make changes with us. United wed stand, divided we fall.