Tuesday 18 August 2009

U can't claim benefits if your skint

(This post is being updated in the comments below as and when i receive more ridiculous information from the benefits 'helpline')

For one reason or another i am having to claim benefits again.

As a full time student, full time mother of a full time student son this is not as easy as some may think. Having changed the rules yet again on how to claim benefits one can no longer just pop into your local, friendly job centre; you now have to claim online or phone the help line.

This is the automatic text message i received after going through the grueling online process:
Please call 0906 664 7058 for UK benefits support. Lines open 0800-2200hrs www.BenefitsHelpline.com Cost £1.50/min ADMIN:08444153905 18 ONLY
..but is not the point of claiming benefits that the claimant has no money? And at £1.50 PER MINUTE I certainly don't have the credit to call. And to add insult to injury the slightly cheaper 0844 number cuts you off immediately forcing you to phone the more expensive line.

Last year when I applied for Housing Benefit, I was sent to 3 different job centres just to find a free phone to use because I was told at the time that you could only use the internal phone if a claim had already been submitted. Exasperated by this thirst-enducing mission I begged them to allow me to use the phone. The final place let me (in fact it turns out that the other two places had given me incorrect information). I gave them all my details over the phone. Then I received by post a 58 page form to fill out and had to produce about 9 seperate pieces of documentation. I don't quite understand why because most of the details they should, or at least could, have on a centralised system because they were for proof of, for example, Child Benefit which is claimed through another Government department.

After sending them off I was then called to an appointment at the job centre. There I was kept waiting for ages even though it was fairly quiet with counter staff mainly twiddling their thumbs [plz see comments below on this point-I don't know how to correct this appaling use of language without re-writing history]. I spoke to a kind women (most of them are really friendly, if not disillusioned) and asked why the whole process seems so bureaucratic and complicated. She spoke about new management rules and outsourcing and was clearly as cheesed off as I was.

Upon being called I was given 3 more sets of forms with all very similar but substantially different questions. Seemed like trick questions to me. Questions like; Do you think you may be claiming benefits illegally? (reminds me of the American airline green entry forms which ask 'Have you ever commited Moral Turpitude?' which, by the way, none of the air stewards knew what it was. I asked because I was terified of lying! Or 'Have you ever or do you intend to commit any acts of terrorism?' erm, not sure if the correct answer would have been 'let me just check if my bomb is ok'...)

You need a degree to be able to fill out these forms correctly without shooting yourself in the foot. Me 'ADHD' does not help either. God help you if English is not your first language.

And the temperature in the benefits office keeps getting hotter and hotter both in terms of moneysaving lack of airconditioning and from the increasingly frustrated claimants and staff.

I can't remember the exact details but was eventually told that i couldn't apply for Unemployment benefit but possibly could claim Housing Benefit. But this is done at a different office. So, the whole process started again.

At the Housing Benefits office (and I'm trying to spare you more of the mundane details here like, for example, there being no letter box and not being able to hand them to counter staff because I had arrived one or two minutes after closing time) I reached another impasse. Apparently you can't claim HB if you have no income. My advisor said that I could pretend someone had lent me money, and in fact a mate had in fact lent me £200 to get me through. So, we went ahead.

Long story cut short, I finally received notification in February 2009; I started this process in August 2008 at which point I received 21, yes TWENTY ONE different letters, all in different stamped envelopes all stating different amounts for different weeks!

And, to top it all off, the £200 loan had been deducted from my overall entitlement of £45 per week.

Now, call me cynical if you may, but I would like to propose that there are some people who do not want to help out those that need it the most.

So, here I go again. Can any one give me the money to make the phone call ( We can't say loan because they may dock me for it!)

I will write analysis of this soon-i just wanted to vent my anger somewhere first!

I know I have plugged this poem before but it is so relevant that I'm sure it will shed light on my plight.


Sent from my iPhone


http://solomonsmindfield.net
http://twitter.com/solomonsmfield

10 comments:

florence durrant said...

Clare,
I am with you there comrade, not because I have gone through what you are going through. But like you, I have had to fend for myself and my son whilst educating myself and working 24/7. Luckily I never had to leave work for studies as nursing studies require practical work to compliment theory. Hence I was able to pay my bills and mortgage whilst studying like a lunatic. My head clock became permanently set for 3 am for a long time as that was my get up time for homework before going to work. It was hell, but I had roof over my head.

I know the system you are describing as a nurse who helps those who need the kind of financial help that you are asking for. One would think that people like you who work hard to get good education so as not to be a burden to the state can get that little help they need, just for a short time.
I despair at the amount of paper work patients have brought to their GP because they don't know anyone else who can help them. I've witnessed how the majority of those who need help end up despairing and giving up, end result - homelessness. Without a home, you don't get a job and it becomes a dead end for many. These are the times when we need to use personal experience to challenge this draconian government that spends a fortune on bureaucrats, who spend a fortune lining their own pockets and then spend another fortune to justify their jobs by making the system inpenatrable by those who genuinely need help.

I trust you there Clare because you are fighter, so go for it and expose this idiocy!

Solomon's Mindfield said...

Thanks for your support Florence. I will contact you for help with the theoretical stuff.

I just received an email which again said i had to phone the helpline but also stated that

"The Benefits Helpline is in no way affiliated with any government department/services." !!

Unbelievable. Need to do a bit of research to find out what the hell is going on...

Solomon's Mindfield said...

i then emailed the info line saying: "Please could someone call me because i dont have credit to call this expensive line.

Thanks"

They came back to me with this:

"Thank you for your response.

We are an independent company who offer impartial benefits advice and assistance and the premium number is there as a service charge.

However, I'm sorry you feel that you can't call this number but I am sure you can appreciate why it is there.

I wish you all the best in finding the solution to your problem."

to which I replied:

"thank you for your reply. No, I dont understand why there is such an extortionate charge for claiming benefits. Are you an outsourced service? Who initiated the service?

Do you know who I can contact for free then?"

Am now awaiting their answer...

Solomon's Mindfield said...

Their reply:

Thank you for your response.

We are an independent company who offer impartial benefits advice and assistance and the premium number is there as a service charge.

However, I'm sorry you feel that you can't call this number but I am sure you can appreciate why it is there.

I wish you all the best in finding the solution to your problem.



Fiona Smythe-Chambers

Benefits Helpline

www.benefitshelpline.com
0906 664 2433
Calls cost £1.50 per minute
The Benefits Helpline is in no way affiliated with any government department/services.
This service will require you to call a premium rate number at a cost of £1.50 per minute.
You must be, or have permission from the bill payer. All callers must be 18 years old or over.
Be advised that the information this service provides is available for free in the public domain.
The information and advice provided in this service is to the best of our knowledge.
We advise that you contact the benefits office for concise information relating to benefits.
By submitting an enquiry or by calling this service you are bound by our terms and conditions.
Service Provider: StealthNet Ltd., PO Box 202, Gt Yarmouth, NR31.7ZS.
Customer Service: Benefits Helpline, PO Box 11535, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79 9BA.
Tel. 0844 4153905 info@benefitshelpline.com

Solomon's Mindfield said...

Someone just commented on twitter about the fact that i said 'twiddling their thumbs'.

What I meant is that despite not being very busy, thhe staff are so caught up in buraeucracy that they cant help even when they want to.

I totally know that they are on our side-they hate the shit system as much as we do.

Thx for pointing out my useless use of words...

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. The thought of the 58 page form alone makes me shudder. Isn't quite what I would have in mind with the words 'safety net'

Sophie J said...

Trying to claim benefits is a full time job.

Some time ago, i used to help disabled people with their DLA forms, they are a complete nightmare, I managed to help quite a few people get it, but eventually I had to give up because I got burnt out.

Some people still ask for my help with the forms but I have to direct them to the citizens advice bureau, although I am not sure how they are operating these days, everything has got so much harder (or so it seems) its is time for change; rage against New Labour; they are responsible for this shambles.

See you in September (27th) for the demonstration at the Labour Party's Conference in Brighton.

If there are any Claimant Union banners, it would be great to get them down there too.

just passing by said...

I can't speak for the 56-page forms etc... the benefits system is a bit of a nightmare and it will probably be tricky to navigate.

BUT I suggest you DON'T TOUCH the "Benefits Hotline" - the outfit you've mentioned in your post is not part of the state benefits system. It appears to be a private comany (polite term) or scam (more accurate).

It really IS NOT "affiliated with any government services". That is why you shouldn't touch it - they are offering benefits advice on a premium rate phone line, purely to make money. Basically, you are being scammed by these people.

Try starting here - government website
http://ukonline.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/BeginnersGuideToBenefits/DG_4016805

It is possible that someone in one of the offices you visited mentioned said "helpline" because there ARE proper benefits phonelines. But if you Googled it, instead of getting a specific number from the actual dole office, you will have brought the link for the premium-rate scam artists, just because they have chosen their name to be specially misleading.

For example, if you click the link I pasted above, and then follow the "Contact JobCentre Plus" link, you get here:
http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Aboutus/Ouroffices/index.html

As you will see, the page then begins:
"What would you like to contact Jobcentre Plus about?
- I need to make a claim for benefit - call 0800 055 6688 (8am - 6pm Monday to Friday). A textphone service is available if you have a speech or hearing impairment 0800 023 4888."

As far as I'm aware, an 0800 number is free.

You need to make sure any websites you use are DWP, JobcentrePlus or other official sites (look for .gov.uk at the end).

Good luck.

just passing by said...

correction - sorry, just realised your premium rate scam artists are called Benefits Helpline, not Hotline. Anyway, they're rip off merchants!

Solomon's Mindfield said...

Re the 'helpline' (i know, it's kinda ironic huh?), the only reason I got their number is because I filled out the online form through Benefits Direct site.

I can only guess that the goverment have sold some sort of advertising based on this form being filled out..

I'm slowly getting there although have to go to a phone box because 'freephone' numbers are NOT free on a mobile phone!

I still havent spoke to an actual person who will be able to help me-they just keep giving me different phone numbers...ggggrrrr

Tomorrow I'm going to give it another try. Thanks for all the advice and support you guys, it's nice to know you are not alone.

Clare