Wednesday 22 April 2009

Victory for Matthis Chiroux - good things come to those that struggle

Chiroux, a member of Iraq Veterans Against the War, refused to participate in what he described as "an illegal and immoral occupation" May 15th, 2008, in Washington D.C., after nine other veterans testified to Members of the U.S. Congress about abuses they experienced during deployments to Iraq. Chiroux also vowed to remain public in the U.S. to defend himself from any charges brought against him by the military.

"My resistance as a noncommissioned officer to this abhorrent occupation is just as legitimate now as it was last year," said Chiroux, adding, "Soldiers have a duty to adhere to the international laws of war described as supreme in Art. 6 Para. 2 of the U.S. Constitution, which we swear to abide by before the orders of any superior, including our former or current president."
I received this from the campaign this morning:
Today, I stood before the Army. I looked a board of officers in the eyes, and I told them I thought they were sending people off to participate in war crimes. And what did they say? Get out of here, Sergeant, and keep your damn G.I. Bill!!!Indeed, folks!
The Army awarded me a recommendation for a general discharge under honorable conditions from the Individual Ready Reserve for my refusal to deploy to Iraq last summer. This landmark decision means not only am I a free man, I’m free to continue school this fall with the “new” G.I. Bill that I earned while on active duty.
...
During the hearing, my girlfriend Alexandra among others were present in the board room to offer moral support. Having them there made all the difference as I squared off with the military over human slaughter that we’ve all been forced to bow down to.So what does this mean for the military?
RESIST!!!! Now’s the time, ladies and gentleman. The flood-gates are open. Your leaders are listening, and more and more, they are agreeing. Resisters are moving away from being the exception, and slowly becoming the norm.If I can refuse to go to Iraq, climb monuments, march into presidential debates, lobby congress, face the military, not go to jail and not even loose my G.I. Bill, we just don’t have any excuses anymore!
Resistance is rising, and IVAW will stand firm underneath it. My story is now history, and I humbly pass the torch. More to follow soon on my testimony at Winter Soldier and the juicy details of my hearing.
Now, I’m going to sleep like I haven’t in a year!
Peace and Solidarity,
Matthis Chiroux
My heartfelt thanks go out to him and all the resisters-we need more people to do this and now hopefully they will find the encouragement they need. In solidarity brother.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately Matthis background will not hold up under scrutiny and he will be the downfall of IVAW. If the mainstream media catches on and investigates him, crash and burn. 6 days in stan, 0 in iraq, living off of legal defense money, serious juve history. He is scamming the movement and they don't even see it.

Anonymous said...

Matthis Chirox? You you kidding me?? Anonymous is right. I researched this guy. The dude never served under fire! He has totally lied about his background and his family. He's using all of us. Every legit SINCERE anti-war activist should be embarrassed. This dude is a poser. He's making us all look like suckers. If the freaking warmongers catch on to this, it will damage our movement.

Unknown said...

Anonymous 1 and 2. Good observation. I'm sure you know him as well as I do, then. Let me guess. Filthy maggot preying off the goodness of those around him... pretty much sums it up?

Note to anyone who wants to welcome this individual into his/her life, whether personal, political or economic... be wary. Deception.